Sunday, May 29, 2011

There's A Hole In Our Gospel

There are several books worthy of reading on the shelves these days (and several not worth reading!), probably too many. Actually, each time I find myself in a bookstore (which use to be often) I would find myself overwhelemed for I wanted to read several of the books I was scimming through, but knew I would be unable to due to time restraints.

Nevertheless, there is one book I read during the week following Isaiah's birth which has left quite the indelible impression upon my life: Richard Stearns' The Hole In Our Gospel.

Stearns' (MBA, Wharton School of Business) was a CEO at 2 premier companies. In light of Stearns' distinctive business career, he had quite the skill set, so much so that God saw him fit to become the current president of World Vision (One of the leading Christian humanitarian organizations).  

This is a dangerous book. Dangerous in a good sort of way. It's dangerous in the sense that in reading it, you may discover that the gospel you may be living your life by is a gospel with a gapping hole in it, and thus, not the complete and true good news Christ exemplifies and calls us to embrace. I no of no one who has read this book who hasn't been moved to take action upon serving others, investing in God's work locally and or around the world in some way, or learning more about what it means to biblically seek justice.

I am now reading through it again for the second time and am hoping to walk through portions of the book through a series of blog posts. Feel free to comment regarding anything I share regarding Stearns' understanding of the gospel and what it means to live and share the whole gospel in our world today.

My hope in discussing some areas of this book will be that we will learn that the good news of Christ Jesus is an ongoing story in which we have a great role to play. Part of our role is magnifying the main character of that story - Jesus - but doing it of course in word, while not forgetting to do it in deed.

No comments:

Post a Comment