Saturday, November 5, 2011

ASANTE: An Attempt At Poetry For Am's Birthday

Today is Amber's birthday.

Though I don't claim to be a poet, I thought I would give it a shot by writing a little birthday poem for my dearest friend - Amber.

As many of you know, Am grew up in Africa in several countries. Throughout those countries, a collection of languages were spoken. Although Am is not a multilinguist, she did, however, learn Swahili quite fluently while living in East Africa for over 5 years. In light of this, the title of this poem is called "Asante" which is the Swahili word for "thank you." Hence, this dash of poetry is a compiliation of "thank you's" from me to my wife, highlighting my love for her through grattitude.

ASANTE

Dearest Am,

Thank you for loving me, day after day. Thank you for picking up, even when I call, just to say hey.

Thank you for teaching me how to biblically love. Thanks for always reminding me of the Sovereign above.

Thank you for helping keep me calm in the times I fret. Thanks for reminding me it's the Lord who guides, and not letting me forget.

Thank you for keeping our home so organized and clean. Thank you for being so kind, when I have been mean.

Thanks for having an incredible dinner, nearly every night. Thank you for trying to make peace, when I attempt to fight.

Thank you for following me, even when you thought I may have been insane. Thanks for being proud of me, when I felt so ashamed.

Thank you for loving me as Christ loves His Bride. Thanks to you, I can face any storm if you're by my side.

Thanks for joining me on this adventure called life. Thank you for saying "yes," when I asked if you'd be my wife.

Day in and day out, you have made me a better man. Only God could have blessed me with such a companion.

At the advent of each day, I already look forward to its end, for I know I'll be coming home to you, Am, my very best friend.

Thanks for being you, Am. Happy birthday.

Eternally yours,

Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment