Monday, February 20, 2012

A Godly Wife

Over a year and a half ago, in preparation for a devotional I gave at my sister's wedding shower, I did a little research into what it means to be a godly wife. This morning, while I was doing my devotions, I found that piece of paper tucked away in my Bible, covered with notes and references I had written down. As I re-read what I had written I was encouraged all the more to continue striving to be a supportive, respectful, God-fearing wife to my husband! It is a high calling and a rewarding endeavor!

I'd like to share some of my notes with you today. Nothing too deep, just some verses and a little bit of commentary. May it be encouraging to you wives out there as you seek to be the help-mate your husband needs in you!


<3 Wives should clothe themselves with the beauty that comes from within- the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit which is so precious to God. Women who trust God and accept the authority of their husbands are beautiful. Wives must do what is right without fear of what their husbands may do (1 Peter 3:1-6).

<3 A disgraceful woman is like cancer in her husband's bones (Proverbs 12:4).
  • Disgraceful: bringing shame or dishonor, causing a loss of respect , honor or esteem.
  • Cancer: a deep and life-threatening problem. Any evil condition or thing that spreads destructively.
<3 A quarrelsome wife is as annoying as constant dripping (Proverbs 19:13). It is better to live in the corner of an attic than with her (Proverbs 21:9).
  • A marriage that looks good on the outside is unrewarding if it is filled with quarrels.
  • Quarrelsome: argumentative, contentious, causing a temporary or permanent break in friendly relations. Making complaints and finding faults.
<3 God hates a broken covenant. He hates divorce. The Lord puts a husband and a wife together to produce Godly children. The Lord doesn't accept my worship when I am unfaithful to my husband (Malachi 2:14-16).

<3 A Virtuous and capable wife is more precious than rubies. She greatly enriches her husband life. She brings him good, not harm (Proverbs 31:10-12).
  • Virtuous: morally excellent, upright, chaste, pure, conforming to moral and ethical principles.
  • Enrich: to supply with abundance of anything desirable. To add greater value or significance to. To make finer in quality. To make richer or fuller.
<3 God made marriage a sacred union and humans do not have the right to break it apart (Matthew 19:6).

<3 A married woman has to think about her earthly responsibilities and how to please her husband (1 Corinthians 7:34).

<3 A wife must submit to her husband as to the Lord. A husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of the church. Wives should submit to their husbands in everything. (Ephesians 5:23-33)
  • Submit: submission is not expressed out of fear or a desire for personal gain but out of reverence for Christ. It is obedience. To give over or yield to the power or authority of another. To allow oneself to be subjected to some kind of treatment or influence. To defer to anothers' judgment, opinions, decisions, etc. To comply, bow, obey, agree, resign, yield.

No comments:

Post a Comment