Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Contentment

Hebrews 13:5
Be content with what you have. Let your character be free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you."

Lately God has been teaching me a lot about contentment.

The dictionary defines content as: satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else.

I wish I could be more content.

We have had a wonderful time in Uganda but since we have been here we have had some things happen that could cause us to feel discontent. We've lost two houses we wanted to rent, Drew has a 2 1/2 hour drive to work each day and back (which doesn't allow me and Isaiah to see him much), we are still living out of suitcases (which gets old after more than 2 months), we have yet to find a house and start feeling settled, and in light of moving overseas, money has been tight in some areas of our budget.

Luke 12:15
Then he said, “Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own.”

Proverbs 14:30
A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body;
jealousy is like cancer in the bones.

I want so many things...

I want to be settled.
I want to move into our new place and begin figuring out what our "normal" is going to look like here.
I want to unpack all of our boxes that have been packed up for more than 2 months now.
I want to have our new baby in our arms.
I want to see Drew more often.
I want...
I want...
I want...

I wish God would drill into me the secret of being content no matter what my circumstances. I try to focus on the all the things I do have. I have a wonderful marriage, an amazing son, a free place to stay while we look for a house, the ability to rent a house, some exciting leads on our adoption, and a healthy family. I am blessed!!!

Being content means fully trusting Christ with whatever he desires to give or not to give me. As I grow closer to Christ I am slowly learning to trust more and more in HIS sovereignty and submit to HIS will and plan for my life. I'm seeing progress but, I think I'll always be learning this better!

God, you are good and you do all things well. I trust in you!

1 Timothy 6:6-7

But godliness actually is a means of great gain, when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment